mrbookwonder

Leigh Bardugo
Slammed (Slammed, #1)
Colleen Hoover

The Peculiar

The Peculiar - Stefan Bachmann Amazing, breathtaking, gripping, incredible, magnificent, stupendous, wondrous..

There are so many good adjectives I find fitting for this book—just too many—that it left my mind almost impaired.

As what its name suggested, The Peculiar isn't a common fantasy story. Bachmann was able to carefully carve a Gothic, magical world into the human world balancing it with the elements of steam-powered technology. Thus comes off fresh, ingenious and unique. Even the dark portrayal of our favorite childhood magical creatures—fairies, elves, goblins, sprites—added to my peculiar amusement.

What more amuses me was how the world was written. The Peculiar world unfolds in your eyes like the most beautiful yet forbidding painting that slowly and colorfully comes alive with every brushstrokes. The world was too vivid that it almost like I’m rooted within the borders of every gritty alleys, within the walls of every dim-lighted houses, within the buildings of the wealthy Victorian London. As it turned out, this is a world I’ll never want to get out.

Along with its darkly beautiful world, Bachmann introduced an unforgettable cast of faces of both pleasantness and monstrosity. Each of their story made a mark in me. Each of their dialogues made a mark in me. Even their silly-good names were all unforgettable—Bartholomew Kettle, Mr. Arthur Jelliby, Hettie Kettle, Jack Box, Melusine, Mr. Lickerish—they all captivated and made a mark on me.

At a very young age, Bachmann has already championed with this one of a kind debut book. He had the skill, the imagination, and the prowess that mirrors that of J. K. Rowling and Roald Dahl. I couldn’t say anymore as I’m too speechless to go on. But mark my words and believe me when I say, this book will not only be every library’s best pick or a bestseller in every lists but will also capture the hearts and minds of every reader—children or adult alike. Stefan Bachmann could take it either as a compliment or a prediction. Either way, as long as he keeps writing, I’ll always be the first one lining for his books. With that in mind, I cannot wait for what’s next in this wonderful series.

Visit http://mrbookwonder.tumblr.com for more book reviews, interviews, and giveaways.